Creative Apps 201611 (Work in progress)
- Session 1: Installation Processing with Android Mode, initial programming for Android, sensors.
- Session 2: Networking, API use.
- Session 3: IoT.
- Session 4: Hybrid Apps (Hello World and UI)
- Session 5: Hybrid Apps (Working with sensors)
- Session 6: Hybrid Apps (Working with web services)
2. Session 1
If you have no experience with Processing, you are advised to follow GetStartedWithProcessing.pdf to learn the basics (password protected PDF. if you need the password, send p.j.f.peters(at)tue.nl an email);
- Try out some examples from the Processing programming environment, to see how these examples would behave on the emulator or on your Android phone.
Create full screen visual art on Android, using Processing. See below some examples. (To get inspired, you may want to have a look at http://openprocessing.org)
- Try out some examples using the Ketai library on the emulator or on your Android phone.
- Create an Android app, display "Hello Eindhoven" in the center of the screen.
3. Session 2
- Choose an interesting API and find out how to use that in Procesing for Android.
4. Session 3
- Homework and deliverables
- Create an interactive app with some GUI and API and/or database access.
- What to be delivered (as one single ZIP file)
- source code
- screen copy of the output
- video on youtube
5. Session 4
Install Intel XDK: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-xdk
Go through the “Getting started tutorial” of Intel XDK: https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/intel-xdk-guided-tutorial & https://software.intel.com/en-us/videos/develop-apps-in-html5-using-the-intel-xdk
Develop an interactive prototype of an app you would like to develop with: https://marvelapp.com/
- Actually develop the UI of the interactive prototype you prepared in HTML5. Try it on the emulator or on your phone.
6. Session 5
For Local Storage: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_webstorage.asp
For Firebase: https://firebase.google.com/docs/web/setup
- Persistent Data: Local Storage and Firebase
7. Session 6
Go through the APIs supported in Cordova: http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/latest/cordova/plugins/pluginapis.html
- Working with device data and sensors in Cordova
8. Session 7
9. Session 8
Go through an introduction to AJAX & APIs: https://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/youtube
Go through an introduction to jQuery & AJAX: http://www.w3schools.com/jquery/jquery_ajax_intro.asp
Go through the Web Services videos: https://software.intel.com/en-us/videos/ajax-requests-rest-based-web-services-in-the-intel-xdk-part-1
10. Session 9
- In session 3 and the last session an assignment will be given to be delivered. Expected deliverables are: source code and link to screen cast of output in a .zip file. Note: if the .zip file contains another .zip, a .jar or a .exe file, Gmail does not accept the mail. If you need these files to be in there, create a shared dropbox folder and send the link to that folder in your deliverables email.
.zip file name: CA_Deliverable_<deliverable number>_<Your Name>.zip (so e.g. CA_Deliverable_1_John_Doe.zip for deliverable 1)
- Deadline for deliverable 1 is January 9
- Deadline for deliverable 2 is January 27, Deiverable 2 should also contain your reflection
Each deliverable to be submitted to CreativeAppsDeliverables@gmail.com
The processing deliverable should run on a phone or simulator, and use one or more of the explained technologies of the lectures (sensor, communication, API, …).
The XDK deliverable should run on a phone, use sensor data and a web service (API).
In both cases, of course, the complexity of the app and the use of multiple presented technologies will determine the final grade, especially excellent grades.
12.1. Processing installation
- See sheets of week 1
12.2. Intel XDK Installation
Download the Intel XDK from https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-xdk and install.
In case you are doing the retake, you have to submit both deliverables named: CA_Retake_Deliverables_<Your Name>.zip.
You can resubmit the deliverables you already submitted before.
In any case mention in the mail whether the deliverable is a resubmission or if it is a new one.
All deliverables have to be submitted before March27, 2017.