Creative Apps 201611 (Work in progress)
- Session 1: Installation Processing with Android Mode, initial programming for Android, sensors.
- Session 2: Networking, API use.
- Session 3: Database access.
- Session 4: Hybrid Apps (Hello World and UI)
- Session 5: Hybrid Apps (Working with sensors)
- Session 6: Hybrid Apps (Working with web services)
2. Session 1
- Try out some examples from the Processing programming environment, to see how these examples would behave on the emulator or on your Android phone.
Create full screen visual art on Android, using Processing. See below some examples. (To get inspired, you may want to have a look at http://openprocessing.org)
- Try out some examples using the Ketai library on the emulator or on your Android phone.
- Create an Android app, display "Hello Eindhoven" in the center of the screen.
3. Session 2
- Choose an interesting API and find out how to use that in Procesing for Android.
4. Session 3
- Homework and deliverables
- Create an interactive app with some GUI and API and/or database access.
- What to be delivered (as one single ZIP file)
- source code
- screen copy of the output
- video on youtube
5. Session 4
Install Intel XDK: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-xdk
Go through the “Getting started tutorial” of Intel XDK: https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/intel-xdk-guided-tutorial & https://software.intel.com/en-us/videos/develop-apps-in-html5-using-the-intel-xdk
Develop an interactive prototype of an app you would like to develop with: https://marvelapp.com/
- Slides: TBD
- Introducing the development environment and system architecture
- Developing the UI with HTML5 and frameworks
- Actually develop the UI of the interactive prototype you prepared in HTML5. Try it on the emulator or on your phone.
6. Session 5
Go through a jQuery tutorial: http://www.w3schools.com/jquery/default.asp
Go through the APIs supported in Cordova: http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/latest/cordova/plugins/pluginapis.html
- Slides: TBD
- Working with sensors in Cordova
- Add sensor functionality in your app
7. Session 6
Go through an introduction to AJAX & APIs: https://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/youtube
Go through an introduction to jQuery & AJAX: http://www.w3schools.com/jquery/jquery_ajax_intro.asp
Go through the Web Services videos: https://software.intel.com/en-us/videos/ajax-requests-rest-based-web-services-in-the-intel-xdk-part-1
- Add Web Service functionality in your app
- In session 3 and 6 an assignmnt will be given to be delivered. Expected deliverables are: source code and screen copy of output in a .zip file.
.zip file name: CA_Deliverable_<deliverable number>_<Your Name>.zip (so e.g. CA_Deliverable_1_John_Doe.zip for deliverable 1)
- Deadline for delivarable 1 is January 9
- Deadline for deliverable 2 is January 27
Each deliverable to be submitted to CreativeAppsDeliverables@gmail.com
- Screen copy of the output
A short screencast (video of the phone's screen) of the app showing off its functionality -video on YouTube or similar video sharing website
9.1. Processing installation
- See sheets of week 1
9.2. Intel XDK Installation
Download the Intel XDK from https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-xdk and install.
In case you are doing the retake, you have to submit both deliverables named: CA_Retake_Deliverables_<Your Name>.zip.
You can resubmit the deliverables you already submitted before.
In any case mention in the mail whether the deliverable is a resubmission or if it is a new one.
All deliverables have to be submitted before (to be defined).