Gooey: Soft & Sticky
gooey adj : soft and sticky Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University
When a lot of us hear the word "gooey," we think about sticky buns or creamy sugary fillings. Others, especially the software designers and even industrial designers, think "GUI", as in "Graphical User Interface." A GUI is what computer types call the system of icons, taskbars, and other objects that our computers use to display and access information. But nowadays, even smallest portable devices, for example, your mobile phone or my mp3 player, carry a GUI.
Many our designers have a MAC or some unlucky ones are still dreaming of having a MAC, because, as they say, besides many other reasons, a MAC has a “better” GUI than PC’s. Why the “Start” button, even with a “click here to start” slogan, failed to start the designers to open their eyes and wallets? There must be a reason, and we are going to find out why.
Target Competency Area(s), Competencies and Level(s)
- Integrating technology
- User focus
- Form and senses (visual design)
Entrance Level :Level of Prior Competency Development (Optional)
- Anybody who has access to a computer.
- Better if the attendees have some programming experience.
Understanding the concepts and structures of GUI. Learning the user centered process of GUI design, from analysis, prototyping to evaluation.
Learning some basics of HTML, CSS, PHP and MySQL for making an interactive website.
- 2 hours, on GUI history, GUI structures and components, GUI design and evaluation.
- Presentations and discussions
- 6 hours.
- Students are grouped into teams. Each team
- [Task 1, 20 hours] reads a book on GUI design and present 9 "golden tips" from the book to the rest of the class. Each tip should come with 2 examples which are not from the book.
- [Task 2, 20 hours]
- Theming Wordpress for your showcases
- Presentations from the group activities.
- Individual report (no more than 2-page A4 in 10-point typeface) on
- what has been learned;
- feedback on the assignment: complaints, comments and suggestions
List of Available Reference and or Background Materials
- Books for team work
http://www.guidebookgallery.org/ GUI screenshots of all kinds of OS.